ASTM A269/A260M – Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Tubing for General Service, this specification specifies requirements nominal-wall thickness stainless steel tubing for general corrosion-resisting and low- or high-temperature service.
Download ASTM A269 specification in PDF for more details.
Stainless Steel Grades
Designated grades include TP201, TP201LN, TP304, TP304L, TP304LN, TP316, TP316L, TP316LN, TP317, TP321, TP347, TP348.
Table 1, common grades and chemical composition
|TP304||0,08||1,0||2||18 – 20||8 – 11||–||0,03||0,045|
|TP304L||0,035||1,0||2||18 – 20||8 – 12||–||0,03||0,045|
|TP316||0,08||1,0||2||16 – 18||10 – 14||2 – 3||0,03||0,045|
|TP316L||0,035||1,0||2||16 – 18||10 – 15||2 – 3||0,03||0,045|
|TP321||0,08||1,0||2||17 – 19||9 – 12||–||0,03||0,045|
Grade TP 321 shall have a titanium content of not less than five times the sum of the carbon and nitrogen content and not more than 0.70 %.
Table 2, mechanical properties and solution temperature (Min, degree centigrade).
|Grade||Tensile strength(Mpa)||Yield point(Mpa)||Elongation(%)||Hardness(HRB)||Solution temperature|
Sizes and Tolerance
The tubing sizes and thicknesses usually furnished to this speciﬁcation are 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) in inside diameter and larger and 0.020 in. (0.51 mm) in nominal wall-thickness and heavier.
ASTM A269 tubing common sizes are stated for reference
Variations in outside diameter, wall thickness, length should conform ASTM to A269.
|OD＜38.1mm +3.20mm -0mm
OD≥38.1mm +4.80 -0mm
ASTM A269 covers stainless steel seamless tubing and welded tubing, tubing may be furnished either hot ﬁnished or cold ﬁnished,
All material shall be furnished in the heat-treated condition, the tubes shall be pickled free of scale, when bright annealing is required, pickling is not necessary.
Testing and inspection
- Mechanical Tests Require
- Flaring test – seamless
- Flange test – welded
- Hardness – Brinell or Rockwell hardness determination
- Reverse Flattening Test
- Hydrostatic or Nondestructive Electric Test
- Intergranular Corrosion Test (option)
- A 262 Practices for Detecting Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack in Austenitic Stainless Steels
- A 370 Test Methods and Definitions for Mechanical Testing of Steel Products
- A 480/A 480M Specification for General Requirements for Flat-Rolled Stainless and Heat-Resisting Steel Plate,Sheet, and Strip
- A 632 Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Tubing (Small-Diameter) for General Service
- A 1016/A 1016M Specification for General Requirements for Ferritic Alloy Steel, Austenitic Alloy Steel, and Stainless teel Tubes
- E 527 Practice for Numbering Metals and Alloys in the Unified Numbering System (UNS)